District Attorney

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the difference between Court Costs and Deferred Prosecution or Sentencing Fees?

  • Court Costs are costs that incurred by the Court to handle your Court case.  These fees range depending on the severity of the crime that you are charged with, how many Court appearances you have and any other expenses that are acquired as a result of the Court Case.  This money MUST be paid directly to the Clerk of Courts office, or by choosing Pay My Court Costs on our homepage.
  • Deferred Prosecution or Sentencing Fees are fees that are associated with a written agreement to settle charges that are pending against you.  This agreement requires a defendant to complete certain requirements including the payment of the monitoring fee.  This fee MUST be paid directly to the District Attorney's office, or by choosing Pay My Deferred Prosecution Fees on our homepage.

What do I do when I have an active warrant out for my arrest?

  • If you have an active warrant out for your arrest, the District Attorney's office will not be able to speak with you regarding your case.  If you wish to turn yourself in, and would like to obtain information about how to turn yourself in, please contact the Clerk of Courts office.

How do I get my bail money back?

  • If you have any questions regarding your bail money, please contact the Clerk of Courts office.

 When can I speak with the prosecuting attorney assigned to my case?

  • If you are a defendant and have hired an attorney, our office will not be able to speak with you because it would be a conflict of interest.  We are only able to speak with your attorney regarding your case.
  • If you are a defendant and have not hired an attorney, you may contact our office to schedule an appointment with the attorney assigned to your case.

 Are your records open to the public?

  • No, our files are not open to the public.  If you are looking for information regarding a case, you may contact the Clerk of Courts in the Dodge County Justice Facility at 920-386-3570. 
  • The only persons who may be allowed to look at our files are defendants who are not represented by counsel or the attorney who is representing the defendant.
  • If you are a victim, you may be granted permission to view  a file.  Those requests are handled on a case-by-case basis through victim/witness services in the District Attorney's Office.

 Does your office handle child support issues?

  • No, our office does not handle child support matters.  Any child support questions should be directed either to your attorney or the Child Support office in the Justice Facility.  That phone number is 920-386-3640.
  • Our office only becomes involved in child support matters when a criminal child support case has been referred to us.

Does your office handle civil matters?

  • No, our office does not handle civil matters.  You will need to contact a private attorney for these matters.

How do I file a small claims action?

  • If you would like to commence a small claims action against another party you can obtain and file the paperwork with the Clerk of Courts Office in the Justice Facility.  

I have been charged with a crime.  I would like an attorney to represent me, but I cannot afford one.   What can I do?

There are two ways for you to retain an attorney to represent you in a criminal action.  However, that is based on eligibility.  If it is determined that you are not eligible, you will need to hire your own attorney, if so desired.

  1. You may go directly to the State Public Defender's Office located at 820 N. Main Street, Juneau, Wisconsin, or you can contact them at 920-386-5577.   They will discuss the steps you need to take to determine if you are eligible for public defender representation.
  2. If you are not eligible for public defender representation, the public defender's office can advise you as to how you can obtain a Court appointed attorney. 

If I have a DNR, Speeding or OWI first offense ticket(s), when can I talk to the prosecutor handling it?

  • If you have one or more of the above-mentioned citations and your initial appearance court date is scheduled for a Monday, you can request to talk with the district attorney about the citation to try and resolve the case after your court appearance.  Our office is not involved in your case prior to this time, and we cannot talk to you about it.
  • If at the initial appearance you enter into a not guilty plea, your case will then be referred to our office and a pre-trial conference will be scheduled to try to resolve the case. If we are unable to resolve the case at the pre-trial, the matter will then be scheduled for a trial and you will be notified of the time and date for the trial.

 How can I go about getting an extension of time to pay for my court fines?

  • You need to contact the Clerk of Courts Office at 920-386-3570  to ask for an extension to pay for court fines.  Our office does not take in money to pay for fines.  All fines must be paid to the Dodge County Clerk of Courts.


Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer