Marriage License

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Application cannot be started until a wedding date has been scheduled, even if the ceremony is taking place at the courthouse.  The County Clerks Office suggests application for a marriage license be made two - three weeks prior to the ceremony.

Where To Apply:
Wisconsin residents must apply before the County Clerk of the county in which one or both have resided at least 30 days prior to the date of application. Marriage may be performed in any county in Wisconsin.

If both applicants are out-of-state residents, the license must be issued in the county where the ceremony will be performed.

Waiting Period:
Application must be made at least 6 days before a license is issued. Ceremony may take place on date license is issued or any time within 30 days thereafter. In some instances, a waiver may be granted for the 6 day waiting period, due to unusual circumstances. If granted, the cost of the waiver is $10.00.  Contact County Clerk's Office to inquire about waiver of the 6 day waiting period.

Physical Examination and/or Blood Tests:
Not required.

Certified birth certificates are required. A certified birth certificate must bear the official embossed seal, and a signature of the state registrar, register of deeds, or city health officer. The seal of a notary public does not suffice for a certified copy of a vital record. If you were born in Wisconsin, you may obtain a State Certified birth certificate from a Register of Deeds Office, or the State of Wisconsin – Vital Records. Dodge County Register of Deeds may be reached at (920) 386-3720. The souvenir birth document given by a hospital is not a legal document and is unacceptable.

Be prepared to provide accurate and complete names of parents.

Persons under the age of 16 may not marry.

Persons age 16 and age 17 are required to provide both parent’s or legal guardian’s notarized written consent to marry. The consent forms are available in the County Clerk’s office and must be signed by both parents or guardians in front of the County Clerk.  For more information, contact the County Clerk.

Proof Of Identity:
Unexpired Driver's License or State ID with your correct name is the best form of proof of Identity.

Proof Of Residence:
A current driver’s license with a current address is the best proof. If this is not available, proof of residency such as a checkbook, utility bill, income tax record, payroll record, military papers, student record, medical and/or dental bills must be provided.  Each applicant must provide a document that contains his/her correct name and address.

Divorced Persons:
It is not lawful for any person, who is or has been a party to an action for divorce in any court in this state, or elsewhere, to marry again until 6 months after judgment of divorce is granted. A signed Judgment of Divorce from the last previous marriage must be presented to the County Clerk.

Death Certificates:
A certified copy of a death certificate must be presented to the County Clerk if your last previous marriage was terminated by death.

Location, Date of Marriage and Officiant:
Applicants should be prepared to provide the date of the marriage, and the correct spelling of the officiant’s name, as well as his/her business address, phone number and e-mail address. The applicants should also know the name of the county and municipality (city, village or town) where the ceremony will take place.

Social Security Numbers:
Applicants must provide their social security numbers if one has been assigned to them.  We do not need to see your social security card. 

If one of the parties to the marriage does not understand or speak English, they must bring a translator with them. Any documents not in English must be translated.

License Fee:
The license fee is $100.00.  If a waiver to the waiting period is granted, there will be an additional $10.00 fee. These fees are payable, in CASH ONLY, on the day you come to apply for the license. (We do not accept checks or credit cards) No refunds given.

Marriage license applications are taken in the County Clerk’s office, located on the first floor of the Administration Building, Monday through Friday from 8:00am – 12:00pm, 12:30pm – 4:00pm. Both applicants must come to the office to apply. Appointments are not required.

Courthouse Wedding:
If you would like to get married at the Dodge County Justice Facility, please contact Court Commissioner, Steve Seim, at 920-386-3543 or Clerk of Courts at 920-386-3570 to schedule the ceremony prior to applying for the license. The fee to get married at the Dodge County Justice Facility is $25.00 payable to the County Clerk's Office on the day of the ceremony.

How to Obtain a Certified Copy of your Marriage Certificate:
After you are married, you may contact the Register of Deeds to obtain a certified copy of your marriage certificate.  Dodge County Register of Deeds:   (920) 386-3720 or click here for their web page.  

For further information or questions contact:
Karen J. Gibson, Dodge County Clerk
127 E. Oak Street
Juneau, WI 53039

Checklist for Marriage License Applicants
What is our wedding date? ____
Where do we need to apply? ____
When do we need to apply? ____
Will we require the use of a translator for application or documents? ____
Do we have certified birth certificates? ____
Do we need Judgment of Divorce papers? Death Certificates? ____
Do we know, or have with us, our social security numbers? ____
Do we have sufficient proof of residence? ____
Do we have a current passport (for non-citizens only)? ____
Do we have the officiant's address, phone number, and e-mail address? ____
Do we know the correct spelling of officiant’s name? ____
Do we know the correct spelling of our parent’s full names including mother’s maiden name? ____
Do we know what county and city, village or town we will be married in? ____
Do we have the $100 license fee? (Cash only) ____
Do we have Proof of Identity (unexpired DL or ID?) ____